Why the name "bLog in Your Own Eye"?

Matthew 7:3 - 5 "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

We should all endeavor to think rightly about ourselves and graciously about one another. We all have specks and logs in our eyes.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Music!

This topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm not quite sure why, but, oh well, it is now. My parents are the best parents I could ever have, and, with my "love" of new and old music, have introduced me to many bands from years past that are really quite inspiring. Christian artists like Larry Norman, Keith Green, and bands such as The Wall Bros. Band, have wonderful, Christian lyrics. If you listen, you can tell the words really have a meaning. One reason why I love older music, is because it has a meaning(with modern music, people have run out of ideas for songs). I will be talking mainly about Christian rock (since that is what has been on my mind). I look at bands and artists today e.g. Switchfoot, TobyMac, Third Day etc., and the tunes are catchy, but its the words that nag at me. Do the words have a good, strong, Christian meaning? Teens who listen to this music, would probably say "yes" without thinking about it, because the band is known for being Christian. This time, think a little deeper. How did that music get popular in the first place? Why do people listen to it? One theory, is that Christian parents who want their children listening to good things, not bad words, bad references, etc., say, "Oh, now there's a band who claim to be Christians, so I guess this is better for little (child's name) than other pop stuff", but really, there are much better things that teens could be listening to on their iPod/Mp3. Anyhow, if you truly want good, Christian themed lyrics, plus some great music, go for older music! I can tell you, every song I've heard by Larry Norman, is a five-star song, with great lyrics. Same for Keith Green and The Wall Bros. Band. But, those aren't the only bands/artists with great songs, there are plenty that I haven't heard. Those are just some,"favorites". :) Henceforth (oo, fun word), I have nothing against modern music, even I listen to it (and its pretty good), and I'm just making a point that there is better music out there, when you want it.
AO

No comments: