Why the name "bLog in Your Own Eye"?

Matthew 7:3 - 5 "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

We should all endeavor to think rightly about ourselves and graciously about one another. We all have specks and logs in our eyes.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Lost Art of...

Cooking. I say it's a lost art because it is. I went on an economics field trip last week, and found out that less than half the food bought in the US is from grocers. People are going to restaurants more than buying and cooking their own food.

I live in the South (And yes, I'm proud of it). Southerners love food (I'm no exception). Way back then, when couples had 10 or more children, the mother would 1) need to know how to cook and 2) be able to cook enough (if not more) for everyone in her family. Now-a-days, these wonderful recipes have been passed down through moms and daughters, so that these foods will stay alive in our culture. The only thing is, with restaurants, most people don't bother to cook much anyways. What a shame this is, because I've had the food that has been passed down through generations, and boy, is it good. If a recipe can last a hundred years, do you think it's worth eating? You can decide that. Time is a great test.

For a few years, I could only cook cereal (with milk!) and Kraft mac and cheese. But, I am very thankful to say I can cook more now (e.g. peanut butter and jelly). Well, I might be exaggerating just a tiny bit, but I'm close enough. One thing I can make somewhat well is salsa. I'm not kidding. My family loves salsa (at least I do) so it doesn't last long. I also found a recipe from my Spanish teachers blog for Pico de Gallo, and I must say- it's great. Here is the recipe while your interested:

Pico de Gallo

4 red, firm and beautiful tomatoes -chopped-

1 small onion thinly chopped

4 tbsp chopped cilantro

salt

pepper

1/2 tsp lemon juice

1 tbsp olive oil

mix all together…and it is ready.


(taken from Daily On My Way to Heaven)

Anywho. Cooking truly is an art; I can tell even from the little (very minuscule amount) experience I've had. I am looking forward to a lifetime of learning how to make wonderful foods. And I encourage you, if you don't cook much, to break out of your comfort zone and try it out. It's fun. For those of you who do cook, keep at it. It will not go unappreciated.

AO


1 comment:

Becky said...

I am so glad you enjoyed it!

I would try to post more salsa recipes "just for you"

Give my love to your Mom.

Your Spanish teacher ;)